Lessons of Truth with Kara:
— if you work with bright colors in a particle effect generator, you’ll get (a) fairy energy (b) magic
— using particle effects for fairy energy/magic is a more noble cause than using it to generate (a) exploding buildings/walls/bricks (b) glass shattering
Extra: if you wake up at 4am and start making something, convince yourself its noble
and, er, i’m still messing with getting the transparency right now
today’s lesson is “oh, so that’s how you save animated gifs”
I’d love to hear about:
- how you found my fics
- what made you actually give them a chance
- which fics of mine you’ve read, especially which one you started with (assuming that you’ve read more than one obv)
I’m trying to work out what makes people decide to read my fics,…
Nikki I read turning tables first and fell in love with your characters and plot and your overall style.
Kristina-haggis, and you are funny as hell, dear. And then I read all four under your account and fell in love with ALL of them for different reasons. And then we became friends. And it was only last month that I realized you ALSO wrote to live nobly, which was the most heart wrenching bloody piece of ff I’ve ever read.
Yay, thanks for answering! Haha, I always find it really funny when people don’t make those sorts of connections. TLN is easily the most depressing thing I’ve written but maybe also the most romantic? Mostly depressing, though.
Then you’ll be happy to know that I
(1) read haggis from Algernon
(2) read to live nobly
(3) read lead on to fortune
(4) follow your blog, fetchalgernon
And ive been under the impression that all of these were related to 4 separate, different people.
I found the fics from rec pages on other blogs. Lead onto Fortune was probably the quickly click I’ve ever made to read a fic, the description was just so unapologetically AU, I loved it. Kingdom of Gryffindor? Prince James and barmaid Lily? Yes please. And then I kept reading it because the characters were written so well.
guys I got an allergic reaction while finished The Fault in Our Stars and I just
I THOUGHT IT WAS THE BOOK
my body felt like its going to fall apart, but I’m reading and I’m like “yep, this book, wow, oh john green, what an author, so many feels”
But what John Green really managed to do was distract me from the HIVES breaking out all over my skin. Made me forget that hot flashes weren’t a side effect of feeling sad.
I just sat on the couch reading for four hours. Not taking allergy medicine. Not knowing. Empathizing with their cancer woes, ignoring the internal war my immune system was waging.
Kaskade | “4 AM”"Sleepless gliding
Over the city lights.
Watch us flying
Over the streets tonight.."
the good sleepy feels in song form, for you
- Anytime anyone uses someone’s full name to show their annoyance
- The idea that Sirius actually would want to set James and Lily up. I am a firm believer in that Lily and Sirius took a loooong time to build a friendship (aka for Sirius to come around to the fact that they were going out and to trust that Lily wasn’t going to break James’ heart)
- Heads’ Dorms. Where did this idea come from? Have we all forgotten Percy running down into the common room in PoA when Sirius “attacked” Ron? (I much prefer the idea of a Heads’ Study Room which also doubles as a prefect meeting room just an fyi. If the prefects get a bathroom they should at least get, u know, something useful PLUS u still get a place for rendezvous-ing if ya know what I mean)
- SMOKING!!!! I think this is projection. I do get the arguments of it being a protest against pureblood mania and stuff but I really doubt they were chaining it behind the Greenhouses (aka its time to step away from the gifs of Aaron Johnson smoking for the love of god. Although nothing is offensive as that one guy as Sirius. He was supposed to be attractive)
- Any insinuation that Lily had any any sort of romantic feelings towards Snape. I mean did you even read the source material????
- Overly long fights between main (original) characters. I mean as I posted, we’re working on a pretty small timescale here, I’m not here for James and Sirius being in a fight for three months and not speaking
- Sirius experiencing any sort of feelings of love towards another character that isn’t platonic familial love. I’ll give you lust though but lets be real I get the impression that Sirius (and the others) were completely wrapped up in their own little bubble
- Any of Lily’s friends being in a relationship with one of the Marauders. NO it is alwaaays too happy families/ matchy-matchy and we need MISERY!
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh I dunno. No one likes a cliche, its true. But I really can’t stand the negativity of this post (and there are many like it in the jily tag).
I mean, it is really impressive that so many people out there are writing fanfiction! The series ended 6 years ago! And yet everyone’s still here, typing away, writing that first kiss just a little bit differently(“After all this time?” “Always.”)
We’re not born with an innate sense of how to write fiction. I was taught in school about writing essays but I was never taught how to punctuate dialogue. Fanfiction is a fun place to play with writing without having to make up everything yourself (and also get more hits than an original piece would). You get share your writing while hiding from behind an avatar. Its great. And Jily? Romance opportunities galore! Its perfect.
But whenever I see lists like this, it makes me not want to post. I’m already critical about my writing style, plot development, semantics, descriptions, flow of dialogue… but reading this, I get a feeling that even if I manage to get all of that in working order, the fandom might disregard what I write. Because in my headcanon, Sirius smokes cigarettes, but in yours he doesn’t.
Cliches annoy me when they seem to be the product of a lazy imagination (what do head students do? …dunno… er, that one fic used prefect patrol schedules…. good enough), and I dont like a fic when its doesn’t develop its plot and characters. But. Someone wrote that! Its hardly my business to get annoyed about their story. No one’s forcing me to read it. I don’t even have to pay for it.
I think a lot of these cliches are around because most of us know Jily fanfics better than the Harry Potter books. Everyone could stand to read through those one more time, focus on how JKR describes Hogwarts, how she uses magic to advance plot, what we know about Harry that we can apply to James…
I’ve been rereading Sorcerer’s Stone, and it made me realize: the Jily fandom hardly ever mentions Peeves! Wouldn’t he have some sort of relationship with the Marauders? There’s a mischievious poltergeist who wrecks havoc in the school and we’ve just forgotten about him.
I’ve been thinking about making a post—Marauder Era Things That Could Use A Bit More Attention
Celebrate good fanfics. Give the bad ones a kiss on the forehead, help them finish their spelling homework…they’ll be old enough for the Big Kid’s Table soon enough. There’s a progressive solution to the case of bad fics: write your own fic that does everything better, wow the fandom, swim in tumblr hearts.